This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Python Hasn't Shed Or Pooped

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by waagyl, Sep 12, 2017.

1. waagyl

waagyl Member

I've had my Sumatran Blood since mid-june of this year. I bought him from Underground Reptiles, my first time buying a reptile online. He came to me seeming pretty thin, about 83 grams. However I had only previously owned ball pythons so I'm not sure what he should have weighed. He's gained weight and eaten consistently since I've gotten him, however he hasn't shed yet. Should I be concerned? Also he has pooped with me before but he hasn't in a couple weeks, though I can feel the lump in his tail as if he needs to. He passed urate on my boyfriend while we were hanging out with him but still not the lump of poo. Should this be a vet visit or something I just wait out? Thank you so much!

- a concerned pet momma

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hi! I'm kind of alittle glad I saw this, and alittle surprised because I as well have bought a Sumatran blood from underground reptiles and have had basically the exact same experience. Too thin when she arrived, not shed, and doesn't seem to poop.
    I can tell you from experience, that this particular snake poops about once every couple of months almost. And boy when she goes it's the most crazy amount ever. So don't be concerned about the pooping, it usually builds up to obscene amounts before it comes out. My 4 foot sumatran could put a grown heavy man to shame...
    If there are alot of fecal stones when he goes, double check humidity and heat, as that is the biggest factor.
    As far as shedding goes, that usually takes awhile too. Mind putting pics up of the animal and it's enclosure? As well as husbandry details and conditions?

waagyl likes this.
  3. waagyl

waagyl Member

Thank you so much this makes me feel a lot better! Also.. a little scared for the cleanup! I'm using my school laptop so I can't post pictures but I can explain the details. He is only about a foot long and he now has a nice wide body shape since he has gained weight. He's in a plastic tub that's 1ft x 1/2ft ( He was previously in a 20 gallon tank but seemed very stressed with all the space, so he will be moved back into it once he grows a bit ) . Him and my roaches share a heat source that is kept at a contant 80 degrees F, and I mist his cage and give him the occasional warm soak. He has a small water dish, a tube for a hide, and newspaper as bedding right now.

4. AmityReptiles

Yeah that's a good space for now. They like it fairly confined compared to other snakes. The heat though needs to be about 10 degrees hotter asap. 90f hotspot. Also humidity can be a real issue, so make sure you have a good hygrometer. What is the humidity? How are you measuring temps? A much better substrate is coconut fiber husk; it holds humidity better than anything. Newspaper sucks humidity out of the air and will become gross and moldy when misted. With the same logic a paper tube does the same thing, so a plastic container or something like that makes a better hide. Just a few tips I've found helpful in keeping my girl happy and healthy!
    If the heat and humidity aren't right then they get bad fecal stones that will be difficult to pass, and can't metabolize food properly. Also low humidity can stress the organs, and will cause shedding issues and eye cap wrinkles.

5. waagyl

waagyl Member

I'll make sure the humidity is correct once I'm home, but every time I check it's around 70%. I have coconut fiber that I can get him on right away, as thats what was in his tank, do you think I could still use newspaper with it, as long as I watch for mould? He likes to hide in between layers, haha! . The tube is luckily plastic so that is good. The care sheets and research I have done all say 80 degrees for the hot spot, so I am a bit confused about that (not to be disrespectful, just confused).

6. waagyl

waagyl Member

Oh! Also I measure temp with heat gun.

7. AmityReptiles

No problem. Always ask if it doesn't make sense! I have read in some places that lower temperature. However usually that is referring to ambient temperature, which 80f is a good ambient, but the hot basking area needs to be warmer, the infrared gun measures surface temperatures, not ambient temps. So in Sumatra while it stays 80 most of the time, the actual temperature of say a bit of rock or asphalt or even just the ground will be hotter because the sun is beating down on it.
    And what I have observed from my animal, (she actually moves her hides to where she likes them) is she likes the 90f hotspot and will use it the majority of the time, down to 87f and she stays on it constantly, (because she can't get warm) and at around 95 she stays in the cooler area. I keep it at 90-93 And she will use it most of the time but still move around periodically. Which is what you want, so they are thermoregulating. Here is the care sheet from this site. (I didn't make it I promise!) ;)
    Blood Python | Reptile Forums - Information

8. AmityReptiles

Mainly I'm pointing out the section on heating.
    I would disagree on a couple things in a couple of the other sections though.
    I haven't had success with newspaper on any higher humidity animals. But it may be possible. If you want something for her to dig through, personally I like moss. You can use clean leaf litter as well.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Paper towel or newspaper will work fine even in high humidity setups, you just have to restrict the airflow down to the point where you can still maintain the needed humidity. And yes, they will hold their poo for months. Wy wife asked which of our large dogs went in the cage when she saw the leanings from mine.

10. waagyl

waagyl Member

Thank you so much! I can up the temperature today, thank you for explaining it to me. It makes sense!

11. waagyl

waagyl Member

Thank you! I'll keep a good eye on it. Also that's so funny, I'm so used to my ball python who absolutely hates having waste in her it seems. It's good to know this is normal!

12. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Hi, the infrequent defecation seems to be a trend in short, thick bodies snakes. (Short in relation to overall size ;))
    Gaboon and Rhinoceros vipers do it too, I believe it has something to do with their normal sedentary lifestyles.
    Good luck with your python, I've been eyeing this species recently

13. waagyl

waagyl Member

Thank you guys! Good news is he took a huge dump like right after I talked on this thread! hopefully soon I'll get a shed!

Qwerty3159 likes this.