This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Not Pooping And Barely Eating Greens Or Insects

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Rhett Bloodworth, May 16, 2017.

1. My beardie is currently not pooping or eating regularly. He poops once every week to two weeks. He only eats about one or two Dubia roaches every three or four days, same goes for greens, but drinks water as long as I show him it's there. I have a generic uvb tube bulb and a 150 watt mercury vapor bulb for heat. He barely sits under the mvb like he used to and mostly lays on his half log at the cool end of the habitat. I've checked his mouth and I don't think he has mouth rot but I'm not sure. I've given him a few soaks in warm water and it looked like he was about to defecate but never did. I really need help on what could possibly be wrong. I'm willing to do anything needed to help him get better.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and give details of the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range, and say how you measure all those? Thanks!

4. I'm currently at work but will be off in three hours and will send pics. I have a digital thermometer with a probe to measure the temps. I don't have a hygrometer but I can tell you in Mississippi the ambient humidity is always very high.

5. Also are there any decently priced tanks you recommend with a sliding or opening front panel? I've currently got a cage with only an open top and get tired of having to pull my beardie out through the small hole.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If nothing is going in there's nothing to come out. You just need to figure out why he's not eating. Temps are usually the first culprit.

I had a male who wouldn't poop in his enclosure, he would go in his soaking tub or if he was outside he would go on the lawn, but he would hold it for a week to not do it in his tank.

kaisei1205 likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not in America so cannot tell you the best enclosure to buy other than it`s probably cheaper to make a solid wooden enclosure yourself. For one single adult dragon I recommend an enclosure 5L x 2.5W x 2.5H (feet).
    Can you give the enclosure measurements in cm or inches and tell me exactly how far the face of the MVB is from the closest surface of the lizard when it`s basking under it?
    There is no way you can stabilise the conditions with an open top, you need to cover it as completely as possible, if this is a fishtank you can use kitchen foil temporarily.
    You cannot measure the basking surface temp very accurately with the digital thermometer probe, you need an IR Temp-gun.
    You haven`t said what the lowest ambient temps are, and basically you only need to know two temps; the lowest ambient @ approx 21 to 24c (72 to 75f) during "activity time" then the basking surface temp @ between approx 40 to 45c (105 to 115f). Nighttime temps no lower than approx 19c (68f).
    The humidity should range between approx 30 to 50% or so....

8. Like I said, when I get home I'll take pictures and measure things as accurately as I can. The mvb is about 24 inches from the lowest surface of the glass terrarium.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And what do you mean by "a generic UVB tube"?

10. Not generic but I'm almost sure that anyone would recommend the reptisun 10.0 over this, which I'm trying to get. I took the plastic shield off because I heard somewhere that the uv light can't go past plastics.

Attached Files:

11. Also what can I use to accurately measure humidity?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need a digital hygrometer for the humidity, I believe you can buy them in Lowes or Walmart for around $13. I`m not sure where you buy the Temp-gun, hopefully an American member can help (they are not expensive).
    What brand is the MVB ?

13. SolarGlo, also I found a temp gun at a hardware store.

14. I'm currently getting 118 degrees Fahrenheit directly under the basking spot

15. kaisei1205

kaisei1205 Member

my kaisei is the same way i can't tell you how many times he has pooped on my clean sheets.

i to had problems getting kaisei to eat, temps, checked for parasites and he just didn't like the collard greens i was offering so i started with escarole and raddichio and bok choy and he loved bok choy. just saying check everything

16. The temps and everything is fine checked with a temp gun and seem ok. He pooped a bunch today so maybe that will help. I also bought some riddichio, endives, and some bell pepper for him to try on top of his mustard greens. If you know anyone does know though I am trying to build my beardie atlas a wooden cage. I would not like to use pine plywood if possible but wanted to know if maple is safe for beardies?

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Pine is perfectly safe as a building material. After all you are going to seal it. It's pine shavings that are the issue.