This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Buggy0123, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I am aware this is something yall probably see more often than not. But I am having trouble with a very young ball python I bought in the beginning of February. I haven't gotten him to eat one mouse this entire time. I'm not sure what's wrong. He's in a rather large tank for his size (2x3x1) but I was having trouble keeping proper temp gradients in a 10/20 gallon. He's about 1 1/2 feet long and when I bought him the seller said he was on frozen. He never specified what size so I started with hoppers because I feed hoppers to my hog nose who is a similar size. I've tried pinkies, fuzzies, etc. he does not seem interested. I do not want to have to feed him live, so hopefully it will not come down to that. Temps: hot side- 88-94, cold side- 76-82, humidity: 30-45%

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Make sure to get the prey item very warm when you try to feed, as in it should feel warm to your hand. A lot of mine won't touch frozen if they aren't properly warmed. Other than that you might try appropriate sized rats or even African soft furred rats to get IT going. One other thing, are you tracking it's weight? Just want to make sure it isn't losing much if any.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017
    Jay1718 likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not sure how autocorrect got days out of me trying to write rats, but that was supposed to read appropriate sized rats. And now it's too late to edit, lol.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Lol autocorrect is a pain at times.
    I fixed it for you.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. Lizardlover13

Lizardlover13 Member

Make sure that the mouse is warm, and if you thaw it directly in water make sure it is dry. With my ball pythons we take them out of their cage and we put them in small totes to feed them, so I would try that.