This Disappears When Logged In

Are Humid Hides Really Necessary?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Romeyrider, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

I just went to my neighbors house and they showed me their two leos. They wanted to know the sexes because they were getting eggs so I helped them out with that. My neighbors have had these geckos, one male and one female, ever since they were hatchlings and they have owned them for two years now. They have never provided a humid hide for them. They geckos look healthy, seem happy, and are reproducing.

I also go to this one reptile store to buy mice for my snakes and they usually have around fifteen to twenty geckos on display with no humid hides. Those geckos seem to be doing well.

Then my brother had a teacher a few years back(before I knew anything about leos and he didn't have a humid hide for him and that gecko was at least ten years old.

So my question is do we have to provide a humid hide? And if we do what's the purpose of it? I have a humid hide for my gecko I am just curious if they are truly needed or not.

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Appearances can be deceiving.

The misconception that because an animal appears outwardly healthy that it must be is one of the worst things in this hobby. I provide a humid hide, even if mine doesn't use it much.

3. Romeyrider

What about the fact that they are breeding? You have to have healthy animals to do that...

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Actually, reptiles can be really good at reproducing even when things aren't the best for them. But that doesn't make it the best practice to keep them in sub optimal conditions. And whether you need a humid hide or not depends more on the specific setup involved than anything. If you already have enough ambient humidity you might not need one. It's more about giving the animal the option and letting them decide if they want it. Personally, I'd rather they had the option and not need it than the other way around.

Qwerty3159 and kriminaal like this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also have to keep in mind that stores are not setting up to keep an animal long term. They only intend them to be there a short time and their focus is more on allowing perspective buyers to be able to see the animal.
    If someone looks in a tank and cannot see anything, they don't buy anything. A pet store setup is NOT what you should model after.

mshrmheadcharge and Darkbird like this.
  6. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I'd recommend providing a humid hide because it helps with shedding and is overall healthy for Leos

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Consider that in their range, they have burrows and other underground shelters that will be significantly more humid than the outside air. The humid hide is a way of replicating this.

8. Romeyrider

Thanks everyone. I was always going to keep my humid hide I just wanted to see what I should tell others who aren't using one.