This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Else Have An Anole Like This?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by HamBone41801, Feb 10, 2017.

1. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Member

So my green Anole is oddly friendly, to the point that when I open her (I think its a her, but i could be wrong) cage to feed her roommate (gray tree frog who I like to hand feed, because the Anole eats everything first) she instantly hops up on my hand and just sits there, turning a VERY bright green. At first I would just put her back in, because I figured she was trying to escape, but she just sits there with her eyes closed so now I let her stay while I feed the frog. I read that they like to absorb body heat, but she's got a great sunning location that I thought would be much better than my hand, as well as plenty of places to hide and keep cool. People have told me that Anoles hate being handled, but I guess I got lucky. Anyone else?

Also, yes I know Its not recommended to mix species, but I thoroughly monitored each's temperament, and at first contact, moved them into the new cage at the same time. Both are very healthy and are great eaters.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I had a brown anode that would come out onto the lid of the tank every time I opened it and he'd let me put him back in without issue.
    Also I'm not looking to argue with you about whether you should keep the frog and lizard together. Just know that even though they're fine now and may stay that way for months even years accidents can always happen. Frogs in general are pretty bad at judging what they can and can't eat and I've seen plenty of pictures of them with small lizards stuffed down their throats.

4. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Member

Thanks for the reply! I did read that the frog might go after the Anole, but I've never seen a gray get to 2 inches, and my Anole is well over 3, (not including the tail). but, as soon as a see any aggressiveness between the two, I will remove them immediately. Also, she doesn't shed all at once. her first shed happened about a week ago, and she ate it all, but her face never shed. well, about an hour ago, it started, so I bumped up the humidity to help her along. Is this normal? Also, why do they eat their shed? Is there any nutritional value?

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

It's not so much about the frog being big enough to actually eat the anole the problem is if the frog believe's it can eat the anole and chokes trying to swallow it, killing them both. It's totally possibly to cohabitate them but it's not risk free.
    Sometimes they do shed in sections, as long as it all comes off its fine. There is some degree of nutritional value in the shed but I'm not sure how much exactly.

6. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

What size tank? I've actually kept a 75 gallon with 4 species in it. Grey and green tree frogs one each. 2 house geckos and one brown anole. I had 4 food dishes. 2 fountians for water sourcing. Many many hides. Live plants that made a dense canopy well above the floor of economic earth. Had it for about 3 years

7. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Member

its one of the tall 10 gal.

8. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

That's much to small for more than one species. Like people say it's not recommended at all. But doing it in a 10 will stress them out until one dies.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  9. MantidBro

MantidBro Member

Gray tree frogs are way too tiny, they're not going to try eating an anole. And if they did try, they're certainly not going to let themselves choke to death.