This Disappears When Logged In

Advice On Worst Impacted Femoral Pores Ever No Joke!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Amberlynn, May 14, 2017.

1. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0762.JPG I need advice please.
    I adopted my 4 1/2 year old male bearded dragon named buddy almost 4 weeks ago.
    I noticed when I picked him up the second day of him being with us that his femoral pores are super impacted. Impacted to the point that they have a rock feeling inside the skin and the pretruded out at a range from a couple milimeters to half a centimetre!!
    So I bath him every couple days and have just recently yesterday applied coconut oil that's all I have right now. They won't soften and never have been soft when the rubbed off or broke off they are hard and crumble and flake. I squeezed the biggest one in my hand and it was super hard to break off. I do not get paid till may.19th. What should I do In the meantime to help him before I can get him to the vet. And once at the vet what should I be asking for them to do to help him.
    Thank you
    Please respond if you know or have any advice and felt or know what I should do or ask for vet to do.
    Thanks this is what they look like today unfortunately I don't have a pic of them from when I got him 4 weeks ago.im super upset to know his old owner let it get like this, he smelt like Tinkle when I got him. :'( And even though I bathe him every couple days he never smells like anything, I can't believe this poor animal has such bad build up. When on google I couldn't even find a picture of them as bad as his was and I have been searching and looking for info about this for 10+ hours over the last couple days. :(
    They actually look way smaller inpictures then they do in life.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only way to soften them is to allow the dragon to soak in warm baths. The vet may have a cream or something that will soften them faster or more efficiently. I wish I had more advice but all I know to do is to soak them until they can be gently rubbed away or taken out with tweezers when they are soft enough. Do they impair the dragon's activity and appetite at all?

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I wonder if after some nice long soaks (I would refresh the water several times, soaking for upwards of an hour while massaging the underside of his legs) coupled with a blackhead removal tool might help the issue. You can get them at Walgreens and CVS for less than $10

I had an iguana who had 2 impacted pores and we just soaked and massaged and sort of rolled the subcutaneous pore material in a circular motion (like making a tiny play doh snake between your finger tips) and it worked out.

blackheadremoverextractor2loop.jpg

5. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

Thank you for comment. Due to me adopting him 4 weeks ago and then the impacted femoral pores being there 4 weeks ago and because of other health issues he is having I can't say they are or aren't adding to the problems that need to be sorted out...
    It's really unfortunate I adopted this dragon and told how healthy he is and then there are problems left right and centre popping up. The enitial cost for him his terrium and the shelf was $350 CAD because I live in Canada. And now with the problems and everything that needing to be bought for his terrium and for health has cost me now $800 CAD and I still will be forking out about $150 for vet this weekend and $150 for new UVB and light fixture, food and possibly medication also this weekend.... I know animals are expensive but not knowing an animal has health problems before hand is super unfortunate and straining some of mine and my family's needs. Doesn't help we live on EIA either ATM due to my spouses lay off. Also doesn't help I am so god damn In Love and obsessed with helping this animal and anything that needs it lol :S :/ ;)

Rich likes this.
  6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

How is he doing now? Any change?